Friday, June 24, 2011

Actor and Electronic Engineer R. Madhavan says that "I didn’t want a 9 to 5 job! and take up engineering to satisfy my family;s protocol"



From TV to films, his career has been on a very consistent upswing. A trained electronics engineer with passions like aero modeling and skiing, communicating and public speaking, Indian actor, writer, film producer and TV host R Madhavan is making the best of both worlds - life and his profession. Living life on ones own terms and still doing what is best for everyone around him, he share’s his tips with Lata Khubchandani, on living life optimally.



Q. What did you want to do, when in school?
A. I was aware of what I didn’t want to do – a 9 to 5 job! I didn’t want to stick to a routine.

Q. Why did you take up engineering then?
A. To satisfy my family’s protocol.

Q. How did education mould your sensibilities?
A. I had the good fortune of finishing my education across the world - Bihar, Kolhapur Canada, USA. I learnt how to fit into different groups. The lifestyle in Canada during high school was westernised. Kolhapur (engineering) was totally different. But I fitted in and achieved more here than in Canada. I took up public speaking, won a lot of competitions. A friend and I would decide, which competitions to enter depending on the prize money!

Q. Were your parents upset?
A. I got the Electronics Engineering Degree with a lot of hard work but when I didn’t take it up as a career, they were disappointed but not heartbroken. They knew I was a survivor. I was earning Rs. 60,000 to 70,000 a month teaching public speaking and communication skills in college. Plus I had been abroad so many times on so many scholarships including as an NCC cadet that they knew I’d be okay.

for more info read

No comments:

Post a Comment